(last updated: July 18, 2023)
Graduate Program Culture, Climate, and Community Sustainability Initiatives
UCSF is committed to ensuring the graduate environment continues to thrive, supporting our faculty and trainees in scientific discovery, learning, and mentorship.
Areas of focus are financial planning, culture and climate, and external advocacy.
This work will be done in collaboration with faculty, administrators, staff and trainees.
If you are interested in participating in one of the Work Streams, please fill out this form.
Leads: Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Catherine Lucey, Senior Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer Mike Clune
Purpose: To develop a sustainable financial strategy, both near and long-term, to strengthen the collaborative community; and to foster future learning of all stakeholders.
- Develop sustainable, long-term plans for UCSF to ensure we can support learners.
- Investigate the short- and long-term financial impacts of the recent agreements.
- Identify opportunities for additional sources of support.
Culture and Climate
Leads: Vice Provost of Student Academic Affairs and Dean of the Graduate Division Nicquet Blake
Purpose: To support UCSF faculty, staff, and students/trainees to strengthen the collaborative community; and to foster the future learning of all stakeholders.
- Strengthen collaboration across faculty, trainee, and learner communities.
- Reimagine graduate education-centered learning in a collaborative and respectful environment.
Lead: Vice Chancellor for Research Harold Collard
- Understand and communicate to the research community on current state.
- Pursue direct advocacy with NIH and other federal funders.
In addition, there is a cross-functional group working with UC Office of the President and across the UC system.
Cross-functional UCSF Team for UCOP
Membership: Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Catherine Lucey, Senior Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer Mike Clune, Vice Provost of Student Academic Affairs and Dean of the Graduate Division Nicquet Blake, Labor and Employee Relations Manager Kelly Sheridan, and Vice Chancellor for Research Harold Collard.
This team comprises UCSF leaders tasked with working with similar teams from across the UC system to provide regular input and advice on the dynamic union environment.
Purpose: Serves as the core communication board for academic union issues for UCSF; provides this information to core stakeholders to ensure up-to-date, factually correct, and helpful messaging about the student and postdoc union environment.
Frequently Asked Questions